Our Core Values
Gather:The church is a gathering. We gather to celebrate our faith through worship, communion, baptism, fellowship, prayer, and so much more. This is what the church does and it takes the church as the community to gather in order to make disciples.
Grow: We are called to grow in the love and grace of God. As such we are not only followers of Jesus Christ, we are also learners who grow. There are things we need to learn about God and there are things we need to learn to do for God. Through bible studies, Sunday School, and various other small groups in the life of the church, we are a church seeking to grow disciples of Jesus Christ.
Go: Because we gather and because we open ourselves up to grow, we are given the awesome call to Go share the Good News; Go make disciples of all people; Go tell it on the mountain here, there, and everywhere we go. We Go by serving in the life of the church, and by our mission and outreach in the world.
Senoia United Methodist Church, the first church built in Senoia, was founded as the Methodist Episcopal Church South in 1861 by Rev. Francis Warren Baggarly. The church's first site was in the upstairs of the Rock House - the first building erected in what is now Senoia. Pine benches, hewn from rough lumber, were the first seats The first pulpit, still found inside the church, was built for Rev. Baggarly by Mr. John Mays. In 1871 a church building was erected on the present site. It was moved in 1898 for the construction of the building that is now our sanctuary.
The church was built in the shingle style Queen Anne architecture. In fact, it has been said that the church building is the best example of Queen Anne architecture in the state of Georgia. A balcony was added to the sanctuary in 1920. An annex was built around 1948 and replaced in 1979 by a larger facility. Beautiful stained glass windows help to heighten the beauty of the overall structure.
Our church has a rich history, and our goal is to continue to be a strong witness to Jesus Christ and a vital part of the community.
Six members of the church family have entered the ministry: Charles D. Atkinson, Emory Daniel, James Couch, Walter Carmichael, Harry Mitcham, and James Welden. The Rev. Erik A. Mays became our pastor in June 2013. Since then, our church has seen healthy growth with the addition of new ministries, new faces, new worship opportunities, and major renovations to the exterior of the sanctuary building and the church property. More is to come and we invite you to be part of it!